The Genesis of the Nations
The Sons of Noah (10:1)
1 And these are the generations of the sons of Noah: Shem, Ham, and Japheth; and to them were sons born after the flood. v.1 The heads of the three great families:
- Shem – “A NAME” – father of the chosen people and the messiah.
- Ham – “warm, hot” – marked by either progress in civilization or degeneracy into barbarism.
- Japheth – “may he spread” – the indo-European or ‘aryan’ race.
The Generations of Japheth: Europe and Western Asia (10:2-5)
2 The sons of Japheth: (1) Gomer, and (2) Magog, and (3) Madai, and (4) Javan, and (5) Tubal, and (6) Meshech, and (7) Tiras.
- Gomer – the Cimbri (northern Germany) and the Celts (settled in the north of India, then migrated to southern Germany). The name Gaul is taken from Gomer.
- Magog – Scythia and Tartary (Russia), possibly the head of the Mongols and Orientals.
- Madai – the Medes (northwest Iran and southeast Turkey).
- Javan – the Hebrew name for Greece
- + 6. Tubal & Meshech – Tubolsk & Moscow, Sclavonia, Prussia.
- Tiras – Uncertain who this is, likely Thrace.
3 And the sons of Gomer: (1) Ashkenaz, and (2) Riphath, and (3) Togarmah.
- + 2. Ashkenaz & Riphath Occupied the penninsula of Asia Minor.
- Togarmah Settled in Armenia. Between Black Sea and Caspian Sea.
4 And the sons of Javan: (1) Elishah, and (2) Tarshish, (3) Kittim, and (4) Dodanim.
- Elishah – The ionian race – greece and western turkey.
- Tarshish – An original settlement on the south shore of spain
- Kittim or Chittim – hebrew word for the twin penninsulas of europe, greece and italy. W. Kelly.
- Dodanim – Modern dodona – northwestern greece
5 From these came the distribution of the isles of the nations, according to their lands, every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations. v.5 “isles” – a broad word that encompasses coastlines and interior settlements. The beast and his navy will spring from these isles.
The Generations of Ham: the Middle East and Africa (10:6-20)
6 And the sons of Ham: (1) Cush, and (2) Mizraim, and (3) Phut, and (4) Canaan.
- cush – two branches: Aprica and asia. Rivers of cush are nile and Euphrates.
- mizraim – The hebrew name for Egypt
- Phut – degraded african tribes south and west of egypt
- Canaan – israel’s Adversaries, highly civilized but steeped in idolatry
The Sons of Cush (vv.7-11)
7a And the sons of Cush: (1) Seba, and (2) Havilah, and (3) Sabtah, and (4) Raamah, and (5) Sabtecha.
- seba – on the nile but farther south – sudan
- havilah – part of ethiopia close to yemen.
- Sabtah – modern day yemen
- Raamah – persian gulf side of arabia
- Sabtecha – persian gulf side of iran
7b And the sons of Raamah: (1) Sheba and (2) Dedan.
- + 2. sheba & dedan – Persian gulf area. Sheba was the father of nimrod.
8 And Cush begot Nimrod: he began to be mighty on the earth. v.8 nimrod lived contemporary with peleg. his name means “the rebel” given to him derogatorily by the shemites who he enslaved to build his empire. he sought great things for himself (like cain) and was the first one to subvert the patriarchal government (noah outlived him).
9 He was a mighty hunter before Jehovah; therefore it is said, As Nimrod, the mighty hunter before Jehovah! v.9 he transferred his skill hunting animals to building an empire – aquiring dominion over mankind – upsetting the divine order. he brought in the zabian idolatry. his greek name is orion – still seen in the sky with his hounds sirius and canicula and pursuing the great bear. Mighty hunter – tyrant. Called “baal” or “beel” which means “lord” or “master”.
10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar. v.10 he founded babylon (in iraq) and was the impetus behind the tower – refusing to swarm (gen. 9:1) – but he was just getting started. Shinar – the fertile plain between the tigris and the Euphrates – is the land of nimrod (micah 5:6). the land of asshur is north of that.
11 From that land went out Asshur, and built Nineveh, and Rehoboth-Ir, and Calah, 12 and Resen, between Nineveh and Calah: this is the great city. v.11 it could be translated “and from that land he went out into asshur”. nimrod then invaded asshur (nothern iraq and southern turkey) who was a shemite, to build the seed cities of another empire. Ninevah (in iraq) eventually became the capital of Assyria.
The Sons of Mizraim (vv.13-14)
13 — And Mizraim begot the (1) Ludim, and the (2) Anamim, and the (3) Lehabim, and the (4) Naphtuhim, 14 and the (5) Pathrusim, and the (6) Casluhim, out of whom came the Philistines, and the (7) Caphtorim. vv.13-14 Sons of Mizraim:
- ludim – Africans west of the nile. they were archers.
- anamim – Probably settled in the delta of egypt
- lehabim – the ancient lybians – almost all africa west of the nile
- naphtuhim – means “nine peoples”. Also lybians.
- pathrusim – Specifically egypt (Pathros is upper egypt).
- casluhim – Occupied delta before philitine migration to canaan.
Philistines – enemy of Israel until david defeated them.
- caphtorim – Similar to casluhim – migrated to canaan at a later date and merged with the philistines.
The Sons of Canaan (vv.15-19)
15 — And Canaan begot Sidon, his firstborn, and Heth, 16 and the Jebusite, and the Amorite, and the Girgashite, 17 and the Hivite, and the Arkite, and the Sinite, 18 and the Arvadite, and the Zemarite, and the Hamathite. And afterwards the families of the Canaanites spread themselves abroad. 19 And the border of the Canaanite was from Sidon, as one goes to Gerar, up to Gazah; as one goes to Sodom, and Gomorrah, and Admah, and Zeboim, up to Lesha.
20 These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, in their nations.
The Generations of Shem: the Middle East (10:21-31)
21 And to Shem — to him also were sons born; he is the father of all the sons of Eber, the brother of Japheth the elder. 22 The sons of Shem: Elam, and Asshur, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Aram.
- elam – settled in the provice of persia. Capital was susa.
- asshur – Strictly assyria (Nothern Iraq and southern turkey)
- arphaxad – the father of the chaldees – tigris ↔ euphrates
- lud – the father of the Lydians of Asia minor
- aram – the hebrew name for syria – includes lebanon
23 And the sons of Aram: Uz, and Hul, and Gether, and Mash.
24 — And Arphaxad begot Shelah; and Shelah begot Eber. v.24 EBER – the father of the hebrews.
25 And to Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg, for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother’s name was Joktan. v.25 Peleg lived contemporary with nimrod and witnessed the division of the earth by language (tower of babel). Joktan is the father of the arabs. they mingled with the cushites and later ishmaelites in arabia.
26 And Joktan begot Almodad, and Sheleph, and Hazarmaveth, and Jerah, 27 and Hadoram, and Uzal, and Diklah, 28 and Obal, and Abimael, and Sheba, 29 and Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab: all these were sons of Joktan. 30 And their dwelling was from Mesha, as one goes to Sephar, the eastern mountain. vv.26-30 Joktan had 13 sons – all located in the arabian penninsula with a few on the african side of the red sea and a few on the iranian side of the persian gulf.
31 These are the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, after their nations.
32 These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations. And from these came the distribution of the nations on the earth after the flood.