- A “Whirlwind” (Dan. 11:40b-42).
- The “Overflowing Scourge” (Isa. 28:15-18)
- The “Bee that is in the land of Assyria” (Isa. 7:18)
- The coming “Wolf” (John 10:12)
- The “wild boar” out of the woods (Psa. 80:8-16)
- A “Forest fire” (Zech. 11:1-3).
The parenthesis. the parenthesis is a flashback to the time of the Lord’s public ministry, when the nation of Israel rejected him and then he consequently rejected them. this parenthesis comes in right at the time of the king of the north’s descent. The parenthesis shows us that this attack is the judgment of God on Apostate israel for rejecting the true messiah and receiving antichrist. When the massive northern army sweeps through, the “foolish shepherd” will flee, leaving the “flock of slaughter” that he had vainly promised to protect (Dan. 9:27). The hireling flees when he sees the wolf coming. But the “poor of the flock” which wait on Jehovah, will be sheltered at this time.
- beauty (Favor) – the way he would work to beutify the nation and pour out the millennial kingdom blessings
- bands (union) – the way he would heal the old division between judah and ephraim after 3000 years!