- Turning the grace of God into a license to satisfy the flesh. Teaching that as Christians we can do whatever we want. They use the grace of God against the holiness of God. This is still done today. We must ask ourselves about every doctrine we are presented with; what is its tendency?
- Refusing to recognize the authority of the Lord. Jude owns the absolute Authority and Lordship of Christ over the believer; but these ones denied it, as they despised every form of authority.
Warning Against Apostate Infiltrators (vv.5-23)
Case #1: The Unbelieving Israelites, who Fell in the Wilderness (v.5)
Case #2: The Disobedient Angels who Left their First Estate (v.6)
Case #3: The Immoral Cities of Sodom and Gomorrah (v.7)
Filthiness of the Flesh (v.8a)
Contempt for Authority, Contrast Michael (vv.8b-10)
- The Way of Cain (self-will) wanted to approach God “my way”. A bloodless gospel – a natural man’s religion of Works.
- The Error of Balaam (self-interest) willing to sell his gift or office for money. A professional religion. Teaching error for reward.
- The Gainsaying of Cora (self-importance) throwing off God’s order for man’s Order. Party-making. Opposition to the individual priesthood of believer.
- Collective building ourselves up – establishing ourselves in the body of Christian truth, Through the word of God. The answer is not to be loose. This is the only place where “the truth” is called “most holy” – and it is in a dark day.
- Praying in the Holy Spirit – prayer that is in perfect Accord with the mind of God. Rom. 8:27.
- Keeping ourselves in the enjoyment of God’s love – the maintenance of communion. E.g. Walking on the sunny side of the street.
- Looking for the Rapture – the rapture is a mercy because of the apostasy. Perhaps it includes Mercy along the way. “Eternal life” here is Looked at as a future possession, when We will be in our native environment (deep sea diver illustration).
22 And of some have compassion, making a difference, 23 but others save with fear, snatching them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. vv.22-23 the original manuscripts are very confusing here. Three possible categories of persons, not two. see William Kelly’s notes.
- Having compassion for others. It Takes discernment. On Those who are just ignorant, have compassion. For Those who knowingly are carried away, have fear. Some are so entrenched in the evil that they are almost engulfed in flames. We are God’s firemen as well as fishermen.
- Being guarded about personal holiness. we can be defiled even when rescuing others, see Num. 19:10.